Hello All – Long time no updates yeah? Well, been frustrating for us too.
You are probably tired of hearing about Covid but once we were finally ready to REALLY hammer on this project that “COVID” thing happened and through the world for a loop. Costs, sourcing materials that were available, and almost everything else became a real painstaking process, especially during the peak of the pandemic.
The good news is – we are back at it and things are moving again.
Here is a bit of a rundown:
- Our original workspace/shop closed during covid and we lost our space to work/tinker/research.
- The fabricator we were working with was very GUNG-HO to start and was all amped but over time his mindset and shop had shifted “focus” to race cars …. because you know … race cars
- After producing a few of our prototype tops we were told to look elsewhere for help because the amount of effort vs. manpower and time to complete a top from start to finish is basically a full day of dedication
So it was back to the beginning almost overnight once this happened.
We have made the decision based on researching the field of material plastics to move away from the original material of fiberglass as we believe it’s a dated and inferior material in 2022. Going forward our top inner panels will be forged carbon, kevlar, or other carbon composite materials. Made to order and not mass-produced in batches.
This decision is requiring the production of all new molds which we are very excited to say have been completed. This was a big step for us. All new molds for all new tops. We’ve partnered with a very talented fabricator Adrian (@elevated_anr_52604) coming to us via Christian @hondavlogs. SO everyone THANK Christian for connecting the two of us. This project is truly happening because of the Del Sol and Honda community which we all inhabit on a day-to-day basis. We reached a point in Omaha, Nebraska where it wasn’t a viable option to get what needed to be done here locally to us. The solution for this has been found and is ready to go.
Below you can see a sneak peek of our new mold for the inner panel, premium forged carbon, and a finished inner panel as well. Exciting stuff.
The WAY cool part of this going forward is the ability to custom make almost ANYTHING you can dream up. Blue honeycomb weave carbon to match your captiva blue del sol – you got it. We really want to have this option available going forward to fully customize your made-to-order SunTop.
4. Moving on … we have sourced the inner bolts, sealant, and finishing components as well. Another box was checked and done.
5. The last and toughest part …… the top panel itself …… as explained in the previous posts we have plenty of previous material from ameripol when we purchased them however upon inspection of the previous molds and what we have. It’s brittle, old, and faded. We also confirmed our existing stock with our new material supplier – its trash and APPARENTLY materials have come a long way from the mid-2000’s and the new stuff is MUCH better.
We have NEW material now (any color your heart can desire; not just blue and amber like the good ole days) and a supplier for that material! Unfortunately no fabricator at the moment. I / WE have been tirelessly calling and stopping into more than 30+ businesses for “thermoforming” capabilities and no luck as of yet. Just …. haven’t …. found …. the …. right …. “guy”, “gal” or shop/business yet. BUT we’re on it every single day.
Hope all this info helps shed light on where we are at. Would like to say we here at OldSols WILL NOT give up on this project, won’t pass it off or sell it, and we will see it through to the end. We’re trying our damn best with day jobs, families, and a lot going on in life. We have never attempted anything like this before and are still learning. Please be patient with us! It will pay off in the end.
Kent and Brad